Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Pros and Cons of Okcupid.com



If you follow me on twitter, then you may have seen me tweeting about joining okcupid.com last week.I've always been curious about joining an online dating site but have been reluctant to because of the negative stigmas that surrounds it. It wasn't until I saw one of my favorite bloggers happy black woman tweeting about okcupid being a favorite for her that I decided to join...plus it was FREE. lol

So here I am a week later with the following review:

Pros:

  • FREE- I'm glad that the site is free because I probably would've put it off for forever to join if it wasn't...(speaking of free dating sites, did you see the Craigslist ads post?lol...this is what I was expecting)
  • Quality People- With a free site, you can automatically expect a bunch of online trolls spitting game to everybody and their momma...this site seems different as the people on it seem a bit more serious about the pursuit of a relationship...but to be clear, as with most sites, there ARE weirdos, just not as many as I thought.
  • Personality focused- I like that okcupid focuses A LOT on personality. Their are numerous tests you can take to better your chances at finding someone you're compatible with...and from the messages I've received, the people do really seem to focus on the content of which you put on your profile. (learn how to create the most effective profile here)
  • It's HELLA easy- This site is very user friendly. Nothing at all was complicated from adding pics, to getting messages to really, anything. It's not one of those sites you need a manual to navigate through. I appreciate that.
Cons:
  • Filter- Maybe this isn't a con for some, but I wish the site could filter the guys I clearly state I'm not interested in and block them from messaging me...but there is a block button, and maybe I'm asking for too much.lol
  • Who's Viewing- The site shows when you are viewing someone's page so you know who's looking at you..I don't like that function b/c I've viewed pages and then not message and the person is like "so you viewed my page and didn't contact me"...AWKWARD
  • Awkward Inbox-This is not specific to this site, but I had to tell myself it was okay to not respond to people, even the ones that seemed friendly if I wasn't interested.

Overall, I would recommend okcupid.com because most the cons I found aren't okcupid specific. However, I am questioning my own perspective of online dating sites because it can be a lot. For two days I stopped checking my inbox because it was just overwhelming ( I guess a good problem to have). On a typical day, 60 guys aren't all trying to get with me at once so I think I have to get used to that. But, the guys I have messaged seem cool and I even have a date this week. I will definitely be blogging about that and also WHAT NOT TO MESSAGE people on these sites because some people have no clue.

Be on the look out for more deets on this online dating journey!

Have you ever joined an online dating site? If so I want to hear about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best WordPress Themes